Sunday, June 19, 2011

Project Accessory Update

So, I am back from NYC, sitting in my livingroom. I didn't make the cut. But I did find a lot of encouragement from the experience. First off, there is no reason to be intimidated by being judged. I learned so much about my work, how to present to an audience, and learned what I need to do to make it next season. No really, they told me that! I found the judges to be friendly, generous in their suggestions, and best of all, I could totally see where they were coming from.
This just wasn't my time. I wasn't ready and the universe knew it. Next year I will go back and give them exactly what they want. In the next 11 months and 29 days I will learn how to make a handbag... not just A handbag, but many variations. I will learn the concepts and work my way up. I will also know how to design and make shoes... shoes like no one has ever seen before, because they will come from inside me, which no one else can do but me :o)
And last but not least, I will not be afraid to go BIGGER with my work. I will still do the meticulous, futzy things I've always done, with lots of details and wonderfully finished edges, but I will also let myself explode with big pieces, without fear... and I will document it ALL... every single piece. After all, if you want a killer portfolio, you have to choose the best of the best of your work and build your book so it has flow, crisp photos, and an occassional model photo with a little sense of humor.
Surprisingly, they were impressed with my portfolio, given that I put it together from photoshoot, to layout, to printing, in just three days! I think they thought it was "quaint" but the photos had enough quality to get a feel for what I do.
All in all, I would say it was an exceptional experience, and fun, and there is nothing like the confidence boost of seeing other's portfolios and knowing that your work is pretty damned good. It confirms that you belong doing what you love to do.

7 comments:

Claire said...

Hello, I am from Derry. What day did you go? I went on saturday morning.

Wendy a.k.a. Ragtags said...

Hi Claire! I also went on Saturday. I took a bus from Boston and arrived in line around 11:30 outside the Yotel.
How did you do?

claire said...

you must have got there just when I was leaving! were there people still getting there at that time? I did get through to the next round. do you know who any of the judges were?

Wendy a.k.a. Ragtags said...

There were about 30 people when I arrived and I'd guess maybe 15 more arrived while I was waiting. I only met two people that made it to the second round and no, we had no idea who the judges were.
Do you have a website or blog? What kind of work do you create?

claire said...

no kind of blog or website I don't even have my work any where (yet).
I am a costume designer by trade but have been creating "stuff" since childhood, this year I decided I wanted to take hobby more seriously so started at a few farmers markets and the response was over whelming. right now my work is alot of leather but I do everything. here are some pics. http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2236106381665.2141491.1218135908&l=0e13bff646

Anonymous said...

How do you know you didn't make the cut?

Wendy a.k.a. Ragtags said...

Congrats Claire, for finding the farmer's market idea :o) And Anonymous, you know you didn't make the cut when they very politely directed me back to the elevator without actually seeing the judges first :o)