Thursday, April 14, 2011

Puttin' on the Glitz Spring Trunk Show

Assiah Russell and Stephanie Robb

I just got home from the Stephanie Robb trunk show at Puttin' on the Glitz. It was an awesome evening filled with beautiful jewelry, wine, snacks and the ever-amazing Assiah Russell! I was treated to a make-up consultation with Joanne McDonough of Joya Beauty. What a lovely woman, and so insightful, I will have to treat my daughters to some pampering at her studio. Assiah displayed 10 or 12 of my cuffs and I received many compliments... which always makes me blush, and feel kind of awkward. I learned that I need to have a background story ready to tell when people ask me questions. It's funny but it never occurred to me that I would be asked how I learned to do what I do. There were many basic questions that took me off guard... artisan 101 kind of stuff that I have read about a million times and somehow took for granted that when it was my turn to answer, it would just come to me. I didn't anticipate feeling like a deer in the headlights. I'm sure it was perfectly clear, by the look on my face, that my mind was racing as I tried to find a way to sound like I knew what I was saying. I will be better prepared next time.


For inquiring minds who want to know way too much... the highlight of the night for me was when Assiah took me aside and said I am magic. I haven't had anyone tell me that in years! I was also invited to sell my work at Wild Things Gallery in New York. AND when I mentioned to Stephanie Robb that I also make beaded Christmas ornaments, she seemed very excited with the idea. I will have to remember to mention those to Assiah sometime soon.

No comments: