Saturday, July 31, 2010

My creative past: Beaded Christmas Ornaments


My first attempts at making beaded ornaments were encouraging. I used bits of interesting things, vintage finds, and leftovers from my mixed media craze. I loved the color combinations and the freedom that comes with experimenting from the unknown. As always, my appetite for information took over and I began to research everything I could find about beaded ornaments. This is when I stumbled upon Crackerbox ornaments. Now THOSE are amazing! I studied them intently throughout the summer and the following holiday season, I began designing ornaments in earnest. Once again I'd found a niche market and I ran with it!

As you can see, my later attempts were far more polished and commercial looking. I began to write tutorials and sold the ornaments, kits and tutorials on Etsy and eBay. This is an art form that still captures my imagination and I plan to offer them again this coming holiday season. I also intend to develop some jewelry designs that incorporate ornament techniques.

No comments: