Saturday, July 31, 2010

My creative past: Cake Decorating

That summer my best friend was getting married and I was in the wedding party. As the cake arrived that morning I thought to myself, "I can do that!". I picked up some Wilton books and did some research on the internet and found an overwhelming amount of information. So a few months later, the perfect excuse came up, and I felt prepared. Her parents were having their 50th wedding anniversary and she asked me to make the cake, and sure enough, I could! Here is my first cake:

Then her daughter wanted to design her own birthday cake, so I did that too:

In the midst of all this cake decorating stuff I came across a forum that discussed the use of a Cricut Expression for cutting fondant. I happened to have one of those so I just HAD to try it out. Sure enough, guess what, I had a new obsession; decorating cakes with fondant. Oh how I wish I'd borrowed a camera, because for a while I didn't own one. I only have a few pictures of a couple of simple cakes but I hope by now you can imagine how intricate the cakes became with more experience! These two are birthday cakes that I made before my camera died. The first is for a boy's birthday and the second was for a Boston Celtics fanatic who was turning 33. If you are not a Boston fan, you probably don't know the significance of that number, but it is jersey number of the legendary Larry Bird. I was so proud of that little cake at the time! I wish I had a photo of the assembled cake, but no one thought to take one once it reached the party.


Eventually I got so good at using my Cricut with food mediums that I wrote a tutorial on how to convert an Expression into a cake decorating machine. Soon after, the Cricut Cake came out and my report sold like hotcakes on eBay for a few months. It was empowering to know that the report helped a lot of people save a lot of money by just using the diecut machine they already owned.

No comments: